Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Happy Birthday!

Here's the Ringmaster at 3... and today he's 33! In honor of his big day, I thought I'd jot down 33 reasons why I love my sweetie...

1. He loves the Lord with all his heart, mind, soul and strength.
2. He loves his Jayhawks and talks about their coaching, talent, stats, like it's REALLY TRULY IMPORTANT.
3. He puts his own dirty clothes in the laundry bin.
4. He looks great in a suit.
5. He's amazingly self-disciplined and hard working...
6. but never too busy to stop and hold me.
7. He loves to wrestle on the floor with the kids.
8. He fears God and will stand unswervingly for truth, no matter the cost.
9. He keeps up on current events and politics so he can talk to me about the things I'm interested in.
10. He is deeply concerned for those who don't know Christ and loves sharing the gospel more than anyone I know.
11. He likes working around the house and keeps his "honey-do" list short!
12. He has beautiful blue eyes which he has passed on to two of our children so far.
13. He sets aside time every single day, no matter the obstacles, to spend time in the Word and prayer.
14. He is true-blue loyal to his friends.

15. When I think about what I'd like my boys to be like in the future, I just think of their father--if my boys grow to be like him, I'll be one happy mother.
16. He remembers not only our wedding anniversary, but also our first date anniversary, our engagement anniversary, and my birthday every single year!
17. He reads aloud to the kids.
18. He cries at the end of sports movies.
19. He romances me and loves to take me out.
20. He gets as excited about playing with Nay-nay's new toys as Nathan does himself.
21. He really appreciates good food and thanks me for every single meal, however simple, that I place in front of him.
22. He lives with me in an understanding way. Considering that I've had 4 babies in 4 1/2 years, this has at times been no easy task!
23. He makes me laugh until my sides hurt, and fills our home with joy and mirth.
24. He makes me a better wife, mother, and child of God than I'd ever have been without him.
25. He gets up in the middle of the night with sick or scared kids.
26. He instructs his family in the Word--from the pulpit, around the dinner table, in the car, at bedtime, while playing in the living room.
27. He loves God's people and never tires of being with them.
28. He helps with the dishes.
29. He is a reader and loves to learn.
30. He is far more godly now than he was when we met, and growing ever more so day by day.
31. He loves and respects his parents.
32. Thinking about growing old with him makes me unimaginably happy.
33. Somehow, amazingly, he picked me to be his bride.

I love you sweetie! Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

the mama piece said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Dave!
Who knew that you and Nathan are identical twins spaced 30 years apart?

grandmasterpastor said...

It was interesting how many emails I received from various people both inside and outside of our Church wishing me a happy birthday. I thought to myself, these must be some really thoughtful people who are mindful of both my birthday and age. Then I checked the blog and had all my questions answered. Sweetie, I was deeply encouraged and blessed by your kind words. I am in perpetual amazement that God gave me such a wonderful woman to be my wife, and I can’t even begin to understand why you believe that you got the better end of the deal.

PS. For you onlookers out there. My wife has never actually seen me cry during a sports movie. I do get a little teary eyed when I see some previews like the one to "Miracle" but I have yet to watch it for fear that I will lose it in front of my family. Lord help me if I ever watch "Brian's Song."